Friday, 28 October 2011

Project "Knit Wit": Casting On

Inspired by this blog post by Rachel Bickley, I'd been trying to come up with some sort of New (Academic) Year's Resolution, looking for an Essential Library Skill I ought to hone. At this month's Library Camp I at last identified what that skill should be: a talent that no self-respecting librarian should be without: I resolved that I should learn how to knit.

Last time I knitted.

I must declare here at the outset that I am by no means coming to this project completely untouched by the woollen arts: I have knitted before, albeit more years ago than I care to recall (or "about twenty" in your English money). There were giants in the Earth in those days, and I was reasonably well-versed in the arts of French knitting and crochet. But my attempts at conventional knitting were limited to a few lines of jumper, and, ultimately, other hobbies intervened to the inevitable detriment of the British wool industry.

Consequently, I have a ball of wool knocking around the house. I also thought there were some needles somewhere, but I couldn't find them (save the one mis-shapen creature that lives in the kitchen drawer and sees the light of day only when cake comes out of the oven). So today I popped into Coles and got myself a pair of 4mm needles (that's an 8 on the SWG of my youth) which I have been assured will stand me in reasonable stead.

Last time I bought a needle from Coles.

So now I have a pair of needles and some wool, it's time I did something with them. So it is that tonight I will attempt to embark upon a length of knitted wool of some description or other. Who knows, it might even develop into a lovely scarf (albeit quite a mis-shapen one, doubtless full of holes). We shall see. I will, of course, be keeping the house informed of my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment