Wednesday, 13 July 2011

CPD23:5 The Fairest of Them All

Once upon a time, not so long ago, there lived a thoughtful young shelf-elf called Evelin who had dreams of becoming a beautiful and noble librarina. Many was the time that Evelin would head up to the old wishing-well on the hill beyond the glade, drop in a pebble and hope for the day when a handsome library manager would come to the village and whisk her away to a librarianship post in the Royal Castle. But no matter how hard she wished, the handsome library manager never came, and Evelin would trudge despondently back down the hill and set about her duties as a shelf-elf. 

Then one day, while she was out shelving in the woods, Evelin discovered, hidden among the 808.042s, a strange old blog. She took the blog home, cleaned it all up so that it shimmered brightly in the evening sunlight, and hung it neatly on her best wall. As she stared at it, she noticed the shiny surface begin to ripple, and then a voice spoke:

"Thankyou, Evelin, for rescuing me and cleaning me up so beautifully. To reward you, I shall help you to become the fairest librarina in all the land."

"How did you know my name?", trembled a somewhat shocked Evelin. She had never before heard a blog speak except for when she'd accidentally pressed "v" while reading "Caustic Cover Critic" in Opera. 

"I am a magic blog and I know everything." replied the blog, without a hint of modesty. "Come, post upon me and your wish shall be granted soon enough!"

And so Evelin began to post. And post. And post...

Fair Enough - by StEvelin

1° Reflection: Turns out I am the fairest in the land. I feel quite flattered by this revelation.

2° Reflection: Oh. Apparently I'm not the fairest in the land. Someone called Snow White is a thousand times fairer...

3° Reflection: I'm the fairest here still, just not in the whole land. Snow White's got that one sewn up, it seems.

4° Reflection: Feel a bit disappointed, actually. Is she really "a thousand times" fairer? Seems a lot.

5° Reflection: Think I'm just disappointed cos I was told I was the fairest in the land, but she's so much fairer.

6° Reflection: Maybe not a thousand times fairer, but she's definitely fairer. That's ok. I can deal with that...

7° Reflection: I'm still fairest here and that will do me fine. Wish I'd not been built up so in the first place, though.

8° Reflection: One can so easily get hung up on one's egalitarianism.

"Your posts, particularly those relating to CPD23, are supposed to be reflective analyses of your progress towards the librarianship you crave." encouraged the blog. 

"Alas," replied an anxious Evelin, "I fear I stray more towards the didactive than the reflective." She bit her lip in frustration.

"Come now, fair child," comforted the blog, "Do you not see that your comment is a recognition of your short-comings? Only by acknowledging your failings can you come to correct them, and only by correcting them can you blossom into the librarina of your dreams."

"I see," Evelin reflected. "I really must get a grip on that."

''I see,'' Evelin reflected. ''I really must get a grip on that.''

This week I got me a Google+ account. I can't say I'm very excited about this turn of events. It's basically Facebook but with Twitter-style lists that allow you to manage your audience a little more selectively. Which would be all well and good had I an audience... I'm on there as my on-line alter-ego, Evelin Harper-St.James, on account of the woeful lack of privacy that makes Facebook security look Alcatrazian. I would be charmed should any plussed-up library-types deign to encircle my elegantly hatted self. 

Also this week, my SaintEvelin Twitter account overtook my other account on count of Followers, and gained itself more "Klout" in the process. I see this as a landmark step in my 'coming out' of the library closet, and I believe it is now only a matter of time before my handsome library manager arrives and whisks me away to my happily ever after...

No comments:

Post a Comment